Tuesday 8 February 2022

6th Sunday in Ordinary Time

 Today's First Reading and Gospel speak of blessings and curses. It is common place today to hear people complain that others are aware of their rights but ignorant of their responsibilities. In the same way, can we also be guilty of being open to the blessings but not mindful of the curses? We hear: "'Cursed are those who trust in mere mortals and make mere flesh their strength, whose heart are turned away from the Lord'." (Jer 17: 5) In the Gospel Jesus speaks of the woe in store for those who are rich, satiated, laughing and have others speak well of them. (Lk 6: 23-26) Despite my Mass going and other devotional exercizes is it possible that these curses apply to me?! It is always helpful to do an occasional spiritual audit to check whether worldly attitudes have infiltrated their way into my behaviour. The key is to listen to the Word and then to apply it to myself and pray that I have the wisdom and humility to commit myself to a way of life that is consistent with the blessings promised by the Lord.



No comments:

Post a Comment