Monday 31 January 2022

5th Sunday in Ordinary Time

 Last week we heard of the attitude and motivation of love intrinsic to the Christian vocation. Today we hear of two instances of calling and sending. Both Isaiah and Peter consider themselves unworthy of their call. The former protests: "Woe is me! I am lost, for I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips" (Is 6: 5), while the latter exclaims: " 'Go away from me Lord, for I am a sinful man.' " (Lk 5: 8) I am sure that each of us can think if the reasons why we should not respond to God's call on account of our sins or weaknesses. The fact of the matter is that God not only created us but also knows us better than we know ourselves. Paradoxically, it is also the case that God's power is made most evident in our weakness. St Paul writes: "Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.' So I will boast all the more of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me." (2 Cor 12: 8-9) We must, therefore, trust in the grace that God has given us and be courageous in living our the Gospel in our own lives. Then we will be able to say with St Paul: "But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me has not been in vain." (1 Cor 15: 10)



No comments:

Post a Comment