Monday 23 January 2017

4th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Today with the Beatitudes we have what I propose can be regarded as the Third Law. We have the First Law, located in the first four books of the Bible followed by the Second Law, Deuteronomy, in the fifth (Gk: Deutero=Second, Nomos=Law). In the Gospel of Matthew, just as in Deuteronomy, blessings and curses come with either the keeping or violating of the covenant and its laws. The seven blessings of the Beatitudes (Mtt 5: 1-12), that introduce the Sermon on the Mount, have their corresponding curses, that preceed the eschatological (end times) discourse on the Mount of Olives. These woes are announced on the Pharisees (Mtt 23: 13- 36) however can they be announced on us?!. The message of the Gospel is stark - there is the way of life and the way of death. How do I live my life? Despite the many greys the situation is black and white? Am I one of those who is blessed or am I condemned by the woes? 

No comments:

Post a Comment