Sunday 15 January 2017

3rd Sunday in Ordinary Time

What would St Paul think of what many people say in the media today? I think, in particular, of individual Catholics writing blogs, opinion pieces and commenting on articles in online magazines. It seems to me that he would have the same words to say as he did to the Corinthians all those centuries ago except it would be: "For it has been reported to me ... that there are quarrels among you, my brothers and sisters. What I mean is that each of you says, 'I belong to Pope Francis,' or 'I belong to Cardinal Burke,' or 'I belong to Cardinal Kaspar,' or 'I belong to Christ'. " Has Christ been divided?" (1 Cor. 1: 11-13) As Catholics we need to be ever on guard against divisions. These can be distinguished from a legitimate diversity by the way in which they undermine Communion. Anyone who claims to more "Catholic"  than someone else or sits in judgment on other Catholics, as a self-appointed judge, is damaging to the Communion. We have the Scripture, Tradition and Papal Magisterium to give us certainty in our Catholic faith. Let us not be drawn to grieve the Holy Spirit by petty quarrels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment