Tuesday 1 December 2015

2nd Sunday of Advent

I am curious about the life of John the Baptist. When did he have his own moment of conversion or repentance? We know from the Gospels that he was destined to give glory to God from his conception nevetheless when did he decide to dress as an old time prophet and to go into the wilderness? When did he start baptising and did someone baptise him first? We cannot know these things. Yet, the call to repentance ( Hebrew: Shuv - meaning to turn around or take a decisive, new direction) from John echoes down the centuries and challenges us today. What parts of my life keep me from seeing God? Do I need a moment of conversion to give me the strength to turn my back on addictions or bad habits? Sometimes we need prophets to stir us from our complacency so that our focus will be taken away from our disordered desires and put back on God and his plan for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment