Sunday, 30 August 2026

23rd Sunday in Ordinary Time

 Jesus tells his disciples: "For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them." (Mt 18: 20) It is clear from his ministry that Jesus liked small numbers. He sent out the Twelve (Mk 6: 7) and later other disciples (Lk 10: 1) in pairs to proclaim the Kingdom. Jesus takes three apostles, Peter James and John with him on two occasions, the Transfiguration (Mt 17: 1) and in the Garden of Gethsemane (Mt 26: 37). The promise of the resurrected Lord is: "And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age" (Mt 28: 20). The Lord is not absent. He is with them in their mission: "And they went out and proclaimed the good news everywhere, while the Lord worked with them and confirmed the message by the signs that accompanied it." (Mk 16: 20) In the Book of Acts Peter heals not in his own name but in the name of Jesus: "I have no silver or gold, but what I have I give you; in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, stand up and walk." (Acts 3: 6) As it was for the first disciples, so it is for us. When we gather in the Lord's name and obedient to his will, we can be assured that he will guide us through the Holy Spirit to continue the mission of the Kingdom and ultimately receive its reward.



No comments:

Post a Comment