Monday 21 August 2023

21st Sunday in Ordinary Time

 Today we hear the famous words: "And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it." (Mtt 16: 18) I think it is helpful to note how active this commission is. The task of the church is not to be passive so as to defend herself against the powers of evil and sin but rather to take the offensive. The promise is that the gates of Hell will not hold out against the mission of the Church. There is a heresy called pietism where believers wait in a passive manner for God to act rather than taking any initiative. To be sure, we need prevenient grace, that precedes any act of our own, however, we are obligated to cooperate with grace. God will not force us against our will! Jesus put his own earthly ministry in positive terms: "But if it is by the Spirit of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come to you. Or how can one enter a strong man's house and plunder his property, without first tying up the strong man? Then indeed the house can be plundered." (Mtt 12: 29-30) Let us take heart in this and seek to take initiatives as missionary disciples. Let us also be mindful of the words which follow the previous words of Christ: "Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters." (Mtt 12: 31)



No comments:

Post a Comment