Monday 25 November 2019

1st Sunday of Advent

The exhortation in the Gospel today is "keep awake!" (Mtt 13: 35 & 37) Despite Advent occurring at the start of the liturgical year, the emphasis of this Sunday is on the last things or the end times. Perhaps we should take the message on board. Rather than focusing on the seasonal celebrations and festivities, especially those influenced by consumerism, we should be alert to the changes in our families, parishes and societies which serve to undermine the Gospel message. Competing ideologies and heresies can creep into out midst or be absorbed into our bloodstream as we go about our daily business. I have found, on occasions, that I am brought up short when I read a book on doctrine or theology because I wake up to the fact that a heresy has become part of my intellectual furniture without my consciously knowing it. Being alert to our faith and he movement of grace prevents us from being complacent and can help us to discern how to serve God both in Advent and throughout Christmastide.

Image result for stay awake

No comments:

Post a Comment