Tuesday 12 November 2019

Solemnity of Christ the King

Christ, despite being born into a lowly family domiciled in Nazareth, is a king in two respects: first, as "... the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created" (Col 1: 15-16) and second, ruling from the throne of the cross from where he dispenses mercy by divine right: " 'Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in Paradise'." (Lk 23: 43) King, by virtue of his role in creation and his victory over sin and death, Christ reigns in a kingdom that has no end. The Book of Revelation puts it this way: "To him who loves us and freed us from our sins by his blood, and made a to be a kingdom, priests serving his God and father, to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen." (Rev. 1: 5-6) Thus, we are all called to participate in his kingdom and submit ourselves to his rule. He will not impose his will like the tyrants of this world rather he knocks on the doors of our hearts waiting or us to respond in faith: "Listen! I am standing at the door knocking; if you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to you and eat with you, and you with me. To the one who conquers I will give a place with me on my throne, just as I myself conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne." (Rev. 3: 20-21) The question, however, remains as to how I have responded to the call of Christ? In what ways do I acknowledge his kingship? The first and best of these is to come to Mass to worship him and give thanks as he asked us to do: "This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me." (1 Cor. 11: 24) The wonderful thing about this is that unlike the rulers of the world who demand tribute to enrich themselves it is through serving Christ that we receive super abundantly the riches of his grace, mercy and love.

Related image

No comments:

Post a Comment