Monday 5 February 2018

6th Sunday in Ordinary Time

In one of the more moving episodes from the Gospel according to Mark a leper kneels before Jesus  saying: "If you choose, you can make me clean." (Mk 1: 40) He humbly acknowledges Jesus power and trusts himself to his mercy. Jesus responds: "I do choose. be made clean!" (Mk 1: 41) The exclamation point comes from later editors but it does emphasize the drama of the moment. Even more so, Jesus has touched someone who is unclean and has thereby incurred uncleanness on himself (Lev. 5: 3). In doing so he shows not only mercy but compassion for a man who may not have been touched by another person in years. Fortunately, skin diseases do not isolate people now as they did in the ancient world, nevertheless, I think it is possible for us to come across spiritual lepers. Individuals who have cut themselves off from the practice of the sacraments or even worse have been excluded from Church through the actions or words of others. Maybe I can feel unworthy and isolated myself at times? In such situations I need to be reminded that God has chosen me and that my self-esteem relies not on my own merits but on the love of the one who has chosen and called me: "You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit; fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. I am giving you these commandments so that you may love one another." (Jn 15: 16-17) As we look forward to the beginning of Lent on Wednesday let us consider how we might both be touched by Christ through our Lenten observance but also how we may reach out to touch others.


No comments:

Post a Comment