Friday 23 February 2018

3rd Sunday of Lent

St Paul tells us: "For Jews demand signs and Greeks desire wisdom." (1 Cor 1: 22) Do I demand anything?Some Catholics have demands because we know that they discontinue their practice of the faith when they are not met. It might be that I demand a parish or church that is free of scandal or a priest who preaches good homilies or a community that accepts my sexual behaviour/orientation or... or... or.... The problem with the Cross is that, by definition, it is something which is inconvenient and painful for us: "Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me; yet not my will but yours be done." (Lk 22: 42) Yet, the Cross is the price of true discipleship: "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me." (Lk 9: 23) Do I have the right to demand of the Lord? Is my relationship with the Church conditional? It is not only in our theology and preaching but also in the example of our lives and conduct that we must witness to the Cross as the source of salvation and not the moral probity of the members of the Church including ourselves: "but we proclaim Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God." (1 Cor 1: 23-24)

Image result for pick up your cross

No comments:

Post a Comment