Thursday 14 September 2017

25th Sunday in Ordinary Time

What is my attitude to life? And, necessarily at the same time, what is my attitude to death? St Paul says: "For to me, living is Christ and dying is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labour for me...". (Phil 1: 21-22) This is consistent with what he wrote to the Corinthians: "Yes, we do have confidence, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him." (2 Cor 5: 8-9) Rather than removing him from the world Paul's Christian faith motivated him and carried him through much adversity: "Five times I have received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I received a stoning. Three times I was shipwrecked; for a night adrift at sea..." (2 Cor 11: 24-25). Do I use my faith to carry me through? We are aware that we do not rely on our resources alone. It is Christ Jesus and the hope he gives us that infuses our life with joy and the ability to endure come what may: "So I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Cor 12: 9-10)


No comments:

Post a Comment