Monday 28 August 2017

22nd Sunday in Ordinary Time

Today's gospel, taken togerther with the previous week shows how we can struggle as Christians to focus on Christ. Peter is inspired one minute: "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven" (Mtt 16: 17) and the next, a mere six verses later, he is trapped by worldy considerations: " 'Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; for you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things.' " (Mtt 16: 23) This tells us of the need we have to maintain vigilance against worldly temptations especially those that seek to deny the humanity of Christ or rebel at the thought of the Cross. Jesus teaches Peter and us the hard lesson "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me" (Mtt 16: 24) In what ways can I say that in the past week have I denied myself? Have I accepted the cross in my life? Have a been a stumbling block to Christ through my judgementalism, narrowness of vision and reluctance to carry the cross of compassion and reconciliation?


No comments:

Post a Comment