Monday 3 April 2017

Palm Sunday

Today we recall how the child, who once asked questions of the teachers in the Temple (Lk 2: 46) returns to Jerusalem riding on a donkey (Mtt 21: 1-11). A lot of water has passed under the bridge in the intervening years. We can see the entry into Jerusalem as the culmination of the Galilean phase of Jesus' ministry with all of the signs and teaching of that period, as well as his hidden life in Nazareth, coming to bear. Jesus unequivocally announces by this prophetic action that he is the fulfilment of God's promises. He is the Messiah and that "Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing." (Lk 4: 21) Do I see Scripture being worked out in my own life in the present and throughout the rest of my life? Can I testify to those moments when God's promises have been fulfilled for me or for others? Is Christ my saviour or, through my actions and sins, do I indicate that I am waiting for someone else? Let us join, this Palm Sunday, with the rejoicing crowds who celebrated Jesus as their Messiah and the definnitive sign of God's love and faithfulness for them.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment