Monday 29 August 2016

Twenty Third Sunday in Ordinary Time

Jesus says: "For which of you intending to build a tower..."? (Lk 14:28) The question I can ask myself is what tower am I building? What is the project of my life? When I look at other day to day aspects of my life I automatically do a cost/benefit analysis yet am I capable of doing that with the "big picture"? What is ultimately at stake is salvation and the judgement that will be made of my life, not in the eyes of my neighbours and friends, but of the Lord: "For all of us must appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each may receive recompense for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil." (2 Cor. 5: 10) It is clear from the Gospel that whatever we have in prospect on earth fades into comparison with what is in store for us in the life to come: "For this slight momentary afflication is preparing us for an eternal weight of glory beyond all measure, because we look not at what can be seen but at what cannot be seen; for what we can be seen is temporary, but what cannot be seen is eternal." (2 Cor. 4: 17-18) Let us never forget that our destination is not of this world but our experience of it will be affected by what we do in this world. The stakes are high. Jesus warns us: "For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life? Indeed, what can they give in return for their life? Those who are ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels." (Mk 8: 36-38)

No comments:

Post a Comment