Tuesday 30 August 2016

Twenty Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time

The parable of the Prodigal is one of the most memorable and powerful of Jesus' parables. I think it grows in effect if we place it in continuity with the shorter parables that precede it and keep in mind the audience that listened to it. The self-righteous, judgmental Pharisees and scribes were obsessed with legal and ritual purity. They had no desire to help or empathise with the tax collectors and sinners. Rather their impulse was to condemn Jesus for associating with the the objects of their scorn. What a contrast we get with the joy of the shepherd who searches out the lost sheep and the woman who finds her lost coin! On both occasions they say "Rejoice with me." (Lk 15: 6 and 9) Similarly the father of the Prodigal says the the Elder Brother: "... we had to celebrate and rejoice." (Lk 15: 32) This challenges me to ask what my attitude is towards people who struggle morally or religiously as well as those who try to help them. Do I condemn the helpers? If the person repents do I rejoice? If I am filled with such joy then I am in tune with the mind of God and the angels: "Just so, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents." (Lk 15: 10) Even better, will that joy give me the inclination to reach out to people who struggle and show them the kind of love illustrated by the father as he welcomed back his son: "But while he was still far off his father saw him and was filled with compassion; he ran and put his arms around him and kissed him." (Lk 15: 20) 

No comments:

Post a Comment