Monday 19 June 2023

12th Sunday in Ordinary Time

 Last Sunday we heard about the call of the Apostles. Today we have part of the discourse, which follows the call, where Jesus trains his followers. It is clear that the mission will not be easy: "See I am sending you out like sheep into the midst of wolves... Brother will betray brother to death...So have no fear of them... whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me...". The good news is that we, like the early disciples, do not act alone. They have the power of God. Furthermore, we do not proclaim ourselves. Saint Paul wrote: "When I came to you brothers and sisters, I did not come proclaiming the mystery of God to you in lofty words or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and him crucified. And I came to you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling. My speech and proclamation were not with the plausible words of wisdom, but with a demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith might rest not on human wisdom but on the power of God." ( 1 Cor 2: 1-5) Our witness, as missionary disciples comes from our own experience of the grace of God which knows no limits. So, we can also say with St Paul: "For if many died through one man's trespass, much more surely have the grace of God and the free gift in the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, abounded for the many." (Rm 5: 15)




No comments:

Post a Comment