Tuesday 18 August 2020

21st Sunday in Ordinary Time

Today we have the account of Simon Peter's reply to Jesus' question: "But you who do you say that I am?" (Mtt 16: 15) Simon says: "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God." (Mtt 16: 16) It is difficult for us to imagine how significant it would have been for a First Century Jew to make such a statement. It would have demanded a radical transformation of Simon's political/religious/cultural reality. With the messiah having arrived the Scriptures would have been fulfilled and a new age begun. Next Sunday we will hear how the newly nicknamed Peter struggle to deal with the consequences of his statement of faith. For the moment, however, it is helpful for us to realize how the question of Jesus and the answer he was given remain just as radical for us today. If someone of my acquaintance or a television reporter was to ask me "Who do you say Jesus of Nazareth is?", what would I reply? The pressure on me would be even greater if I knew that my career prospects would be damaged or I would expose myself and my family to ridicule and abuse by trolls on social media. In some parts of the world an answer that affirms the messiah-ship of Jesus may even endanger my life and that of those I love most. Yet, as we see in the martyrdom of the Apostles, including St Peter, to believe in Jesus and to stay faithful to him was of greater value than worldly life or prosperity. Faith in Jesus is indeed the pearl of great price. Since we have been redeemed from slavery to sin by the blood of Christ let us not hesitate to affirm our faith in Him when it is challenged by those around us. Let our presence at Mass be a living witness and prophetic sign that the promises of the Gospel are just as valid in 2020 as they were in the time of St Peter.

Who do you say I am" - Vince Gerhardy

No comments:

Post a Comment