Friday 14 September 2018

25th Sunday in Ordinary Time

In the Gospel of Mark there are three prophecies of the Passion: Mk 8: 31; 9: 31 and 10: 33-34. Each time the disciples response is disturbing. Last week's gospel had Peter rebuking Jesus. This week we hear: "But they did not understand what he was saying and were afraid to ask him." (Mk 9: 32) In the Gospel for the 29th Sunday in Ordinary Time we will hear about James and John responding to the teaching by seeking the right to sit side by side with Jesus in his glory (Mk 10: 35-45). This builds on the argument among the disciples, from today, as to who was the greatest. We therefore have, successively: denial, fear, self-seeking ambition. The question posed by these accounts is: what is my response to the Cross in my life? Has the impact of Christ's saving love for me and the experience of my own cross brought about an appropriate response? If I deny the Cross and carry on with a materialist and selfish way of life, I am not a true disciple. If I turn away out of fear and refuse to seek the truth, I am not a true disciple. If I see the Cross as a means to personal advancement, I am not a true disciple. The litmus test  as to whether I am authentic disciple is to be found in my treatment of others especially those who are weaker or smaller than me: Whoever wants to be the first must be last of all and servant of all." (Mk 9: 37) The gifts that come to disciples from God are not for their own benefit but are to be used for the advantage of others so that they may know Christ and in turn make him known to others.

Image result for prediction of the passion

No comments:

Post a Comment