Monday 3 September 2018

24th Sunday in Ordinary Time

In the Gospel today Jesus asks the question: "Who do people say that I am?" (Mk 8: 27) We can look to the media to see that response or even to the attitudes and comments of people we know including our families and work mates. Inevitably, Jesus will turn to me, look me in the eyes and ask: "But who do you say that I am?" (Mk 8: 29) The answer to this question is important as it will inform both the way that I live and the way I will die. It is a profound and existential affirmation or negation of whether Jesus is Emmanuel - God with us. Are his promises true? Has he risen from the dead? Did he send the Holy Spirit to abide in me? Is he present in the Eucharist? The Mass gives us an answer but it is up to us as a community, in singing the Great Amen at the conclusion of the Eucharistic Prayer, or as an individual when I say "Amen" when receiving Holy Communion, to make the affirmation to all that has been said, sung, prayed and believed in the liturgy. The Christian life, however, is not always "beer and skittles" and is not a question of self-fulfillment of affirmation. We are also mindful of Christ's admonition to his disciples: "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves ad take up their cross and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it." (Mk 8: 35)
Image result for peter at caesarea philippi

No comments:

Post a Comment