Thursday 6 July 2017

19th Sunday in Ordinary Time

The walking of Peter on water is a curious story in the Gospel. We are accustomed to thinking of the Lord and his miracles but we do not think of others as participating directly in them. Individuals are the objects of miraculous activity not subjects of it! Yet, here we have Peter being given the chance to join the Lord as he walks on the Sea of Galilee! It is amazing the Peter should even ask to join the Lord but how much more so that the Lord should say "yes"! Things become business as usual and it does not take long: "But when he noticed the strong wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, 'Lord save me'! " (Mtt 14: 30) Is it the case that I get the "speed wobbles" when I see the Holy Spirit at work in my life? Am I ambitious for the work of the Lord? The danger is that I write a "spiritual cheque" to sign up for holiness and discipleship things can get tough and I am losing control of my life so I as for the chque back. Surely, with the lesson of the Gospel in front of us we can trust God more and allow him to call us to join with him when see him as he "walks on the water."


No comments:

Post a Comment