Monday 6 March 2017

2nd Sunday of Lent

The vision of the apostles on Mount Tabor was clearly a powerful one. The way they communicate it to us is by using a number of themes and images from the Old Testament. Have you had a spiritual experience? If you were to write it down how would you express it and convey the meaning and impact of this to others especially if it occurred some time ago? We can reply on the Sciptures because they are objective revelation. The Church has also spoken of others experiences such as those of the visionaries of Fatima or St Bernadette at Lourdes. They are spoken of as being "worthy of belief." My own experiences can never attain the reliability of the Scripture but they can reinforce my faith and prepare me for when the going gets tough as I encounter the Cross in my life. They will surely, however, be in accord with who I am and my way of receiving information. Saint Thomas Aquinas wrote: Quidquid recipitur ad modum recipientis recipitur, which means, whatever is received is received in the manner of the receiver. For example, Our Lady spoke to Bernadette in dialect and not French simply because that is the language that she understood. Likewise, Jesus reveals his glory to the apostles in the Transfiguration in such a way that they understand the message that God had for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment