Monday 27 February 2017

1st Sunday of Lent Year A

The temptations of Christ are, together with the Agony in the Garden, proof of Jesus humanity. In fact, the two are closely related. A temptation presumes the possibility that I might give in to it and also that the object in question is desirable to me. I am not tempted by things to which I am indifferent and of which I have no knowledge. Jesus, therefore, even though he is the Son of God is being truly tested in terms of physical gratification, the working of marvels, which would bring fame, and possessions, which offer power and privilege. Yet, he remains true to his mission to do the Father's will. This is not the end of his temptations. In the gospel of Luke it states: "When the devil had finished every test, he departed from him until an opportune time." (Lk 4: 13) That time occurs in the Garden of Gethsemane when the temptation is to save his life by fleeing from his impending arrest. On that occasion he prays: "Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me; yet, not my will but yours be done." (Lk 22: 42) This sums up the whole of his mission. Jesus did not bring about salvation through asceticism, sufferning or self-denial rather he did so through obedience: "Although he was a Son, he learned obedience through what he suffered; and having been made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvaton for all who obey him, having been designated by God a high priest according to the order of Malchizedek." (Heb 5: 8-10) Lent is a season when we too strive to be obedient to Christ our High Priest so that we may work out more faithfully in our own lives the salvation that he has won for us. The exercises we embark on are fruitless unless we do them out of loving obedience. St Paul writes: "If I give away all my possessions, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing." (1 Cor 13: 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment