Monday 21 November 2016

1st Sunday of Advent

The Gospel tells us: "Keep awake, therefore, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming." (Mtt 24: 42) I was in Wellington during the recent 7.8 magnitude earthquake which occurred just after midnight. I was certainly awake after that as the aftershocks occurred and the tsunami alert was issued. I wondered what would happen next. What did I need to do should the situation deteriorate. In the light of this, I can ask myself whether I have the same attitude to my faith life? The relationship I have with God is far more important than other aspects of my life since it is the one thing that will last for eternity. My body, earthquake or not, will at some point die. As we begin the season of Advent let us use it as a prompt to awake ourselves to God in our lives and our need to be always ready to encounter him whether it is in life or in death. If the Lord were to return today how would he find me? The time I have is an opportunity to live as God has called me to live and therefore be at peace rejoicing in the truth. Scripture tells us: "But do not ignore this fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like one day. The Lord is not slow about his promise, as some think of slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting any to perish, but all to come to repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, and the elements will be dissolved with fire, and the earth and everything that is done on it will be disclosed." (2 Pet 3: 8-10) 


No comments:

Post a Comment