Saturday 24 September 2016

Reflection from Retreat

While on retreat last week this reflection from St. John Henry Newman's "Meditations and Devotions" struck me as being particularly powerful:

                         To possess thee, O Lover of my soul, is happiness,
                         and the only happiness of the immortal soul!
                         To enjoy the sight of thee is the only happiness of eternity.
                         At present I might amuse myself with the vanities of sense and time,
                         but they will not last for ever.
                         We shall be stripped of them when we pass out of this world.
                         All shadows will one day be gone.
                         And what shall I do then?
                         There will be nothing left to me but Almighty God.
                         If I cannot take pleasure in the thought of him,
                         there is no one else then to take pleasure in;
                         God and my soul will be the only two beings left in the whole world
                         so far as I am concerned.
                         He will be all in all, whether I wish it or no.
                         What a strait I shall then be in if I do not love him,
                          and there is nothing else to love!

                          

No comments:

Post a Comment