Monday 7 October 2024

28th Sunday in Ordinary Time

 Jesus asks the rich young man in today's gospel to: "... sell what you own and give the money to the poor" (Mk 10: 21). This, on its face, is difficult enough especially for someone who is rich. Jesus goes on to say, in the same verse: "... then come, follow me." As missionary disciples we must be mindful that it is not enough to spend our resources for others and do any number of works of charity. We must follow Christ. This means that we not only dedicate our material goods to the mission and the good of others, but we also conform ourselves to Christ which means taking up our cross each day and following him. This renunciation of self comes about not through duty or fear but through love: "For the love of Christ urges us on." (2 Cor 5: 14) It is through love that we find the relationship with God for which the rich young man longed. St Paul is uncompromising: "If I give away all my possessions, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing." (1 Cor 13: 3) Making Jesus Christ our priority places all of our possessions and concerns in perspective. This calls for a transformation in our understanding of why and for whom we are living. This stands in glaring contrast to the self-obsession of the world: "I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." (Gal 2: 19-21)



No comments:

Post a Comment