Sunday 23 July 2023

17th Sunday in Ordinary Time

 Today we are given four different parables for the kingdom of heaven: treasure hidden in a field, a merchant in search of fine pearls, a net thrown into the sea which catches fish of every kind and angels who come out and separate the evil from the righteous. The element common to all of these is the intentionality of the search for, or the reaction to, the kingdom. New Zealanders, as a rule, save this kind of focus for the sport they are following or the acquisition of money or material possessions. Before thinking that such an attitude applies only to others it is necessary that I apply the parables to myself. What sacrifices have I made, or am I prepared to make, to stay true to my faith? What if the New Zealand state was to start a persecution against Catholics and attempt to suppress Church institutions or the Mass as in the time of Henry VIII and Edward VI? Would I stand with Thomas More, John Fisher and the eight Carthusian monks who were starved to death or would I acquiesce and go along with everyone else to accept the new religious situation? We see Catholics, promoted in the media, who promote abortion under the guise of "free choice." Heaven forbid that we should find ourselves locked out at the gates of heaven: "When once the owner of the house has got up and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and to knock on the door, saying, 'Lord open to us,' then in reply he will say to you, 'I do not know where you come from.' Then you will begin to say, 'We ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.' But he swill say, 'I do not know where you come from; go away from me all you evildoers!' There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrown out." (Lk 13: 25-30)



No comments:

Post a Comment