Friday 5 August 2022

20th Sunday in Ordinary Time

 Today's gospel is unsettling. Jesus, at the Last Supper in John's gospel says to the disciples: "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you" (Jn 14: 27) and the Risen Lord greets his disciples: "Peace be with you." (Jn 20: 26) This is also the case in the gospel of Luke from which our reading for today is taken: "Peace be with you" (Lk 24: 26) Yet, Jesus says in our present text: "' Do you think that I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division!'" (Lk 12: 31) How can we square the circle? Does Jesus bring division or does he bring peace? 

The key to this I propose lies in Jesus statement about the nature of the peace he brings: "I do not give to you as the world gives." (Jn 14: 27) Peace is not merely the absence of war. The Pax Romana in the time of Jesus, imposed by imperial might, suppressed military conflict but bedded in oppression and suffering for subject peoples. Worldly peace is necessarily limited and contingent. It maintains worldly structures and relationships that are tainted by sin and self-interest. This phony and inadequate imitation of true peace is destined to fail. Speaking prior to his passion Jesus goes on to say: "I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming. He has no power over me; but I do as the Father has commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father." (Jn 14: 30-31) 

The peace of Jesus is therefore established is the love of the Father which is experienced in the Gift, which is the Holy Spirit. In this peace we know ourselves to be truly loved. Jesus, in his victory over sin and death, reveals God's power over everything that threatens us and we can rest peacefully in his love. Thus: "Jesus answered them, 'Do you now believe? the hour is coming, indeed, it has come, when you will be scattered, each one to his home, and you will leave me alone. Yet I am not alone because the Father is with me. I have said this to you, so that in me you may have peace. In the world you face persecution. But take courage; I have conquered the world!'" (Jn 16: 32-33) In a time of low level persecution of the Church in New Zealand, as Christian faith is maligned and marginalized in wider society, let us ask for the peace of Christ so that we may stand strong in faith and witness to the love of Christ and the joy of the Gospel. 



No comments:

Post a Comment