Monday 11 October 2021

29th Sunday in Ordinary Time

I think that we are so accustomed to the idea of Christ bringing about our salvation through the Cross that we forget, to a worldly way of thinking, how weird it is. The First Reading shows us how the prophecy of Isaiah of the Suffering Servant meant that this idea already existed in the Jewish religion yet St Paul found that the idea of the Messiah dying on the Cross was preposterous to the Jews: "For Jews demand signs and Greeks desire wisdom, but we proclaim Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles..." (1 Cor 1: 22-23). Even in his own ministry, he had to explain to his flock how despite all his failures and imprisonments the power of Christ was still at work in him and in those who conformed to Christ. This was even the case when his prayers were not answered: "Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me, but he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.' So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Cor 12: 8-10) When we look at the Gospel for today can we recognize in ourselves the desire to lord it over others? Are we striving to compete for recognition or influence in our parishes and communities or are we genuinely looking to be of service by making available to others our gifts and charisms? The temptation to rule over others is always there as it was in the temptations in the desert at the start of Jesus' earthly ministry: "Again the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendour; and he said to him, 'All these I will give to you, if you will fall down and worship me'." (Mtt 4: 8-9) That is not what we, as clergy and faithful laity, should aspire to: "But it is not so among you; whoever wishes to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you must be slave of all. For the Son of Man came not o be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." (Mk 10: 42-45) 



No comments:

Post a Comment