Monday 13 September 2021

25th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Today we hear of the disciples arguing among one another about "who was the greatest." (Mk 9: 34) We could also insert in there a number of other options such as who was the "most Catholic," the "most pious" or the "most liturgically correct." There are all sorts of ways in which Catholic can strive to compete with one another or vaunt themselves over others. It is interested that when challenged by Jesus the disciples are silent. This silence indicates that they are already aware or realize, in Christ's presence, that their behaviour is unworthy of disciples of the Lord. Whether it is in the parish or on the internet how many people are mindful, when they write or say something in the particular forum, that what they have to do or say is worthy of their vocation as Christians? Such challenges existed in the Church from the beginning as the early Christians had to learn not to project their interior conflicts onto one another: "Those conflicts and disputes among you, where do they come from? Do they not come from your cravings that are at war within you?" (Jm 4: 1) The advice for them remains valid for us: "We must no longer be children, tossed to and fro and blown about by every wind of doctrine, by people's trickery, by their craftiness in deceitful scheming. But speaking the truth in love, we must grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by every ligament with which it is equipped, as each part is working properly, promotes the body's growth in building itself up in love." (Eph 4: 14-16) The key to this growth in discipleship is to be found in our willingness to serve  for: "Whoever wants to be first must be last of all and servant of all." (Mk 9: 35)







3 comments:

  1. Hello Father! So if we all serve we all become first?

    Another question is about how a person finds their centre in a noisey 21st Century world so they are not thrown about by the frustration of others. What are the practical steps that lead to calm in the storms? Lessen the busy-ness of life? Incorporate meditation and prayer into daily life, all of the above, something else??

    I enjoyed reading that the challenging behaviour of people of faith is not reserved for modern times, my thanks for that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, thank you for reading my blog and sending me your questions.

    It is the case that if we all serve we all become first but the Kingdom is not a competition: "For the Kingdom of God is not food and drink but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit." (Rm 14: 17) However, we are not all equal in our capacities since: ""From everyone to whom much has been given, much will be required; and from the one to whom much has been entrusted, even more will be demanded." (Lk 12: 48) One thing is for certain no one can ever out serve, out love or out forgive our Lord Jesus Christ. I challenge you to take him on!

    With regard to what we can do to find our centre in a busy world I recommend taking time at the start and the conclusion of the day to reflect on what I am about to do or what I have done just as with the conscience examen of the Jesuits. For all the time I spend in vocal or conscious prayer I also nee to take an equivalent time in silent, receptive meditation as I open myself up to God's voice an influence. The key to all this is my heart. It is there that God speaks especially to my desires. In this, I will need to distinguish between shallow desires and deep desires. When I can truthfully acknowledge the deep desires then I need to orient all my activity to bringing them about. this prevents me from becoming co-dependent on others and being dominated by their expectations. In this way life is not separated from prayer and my prayer does not become a refuge but I look at my life as an extension of my prayer.

    One way, also, o assist with meditation is to read the readings from the lectionary for the coming Sunday and look out for how God's work is manifested in the reality that surrounds me. Once I can see God's plan at work then I will not be so anxious as I know that God's is in charge and his providential care is always there for me: "We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn within a large family. And those whom he predestined he also called; and those whom he called he also justified; and those whom he justified he also glorified." (Rm 8: 28-30)

    May God bless you in your Christian journey. Please feel free to ask more questions which I hope will be of benefit to other readers of this blog and to myself. Yours in Christ, Fr Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Father, you have provided a very useful and practical framework! And I decline your challenge, I’d be on a hiding to nothing if I take God on :-) I have put your daily suggestions into action I’ll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete