Saturday 26 June 2021

14th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Sometimes it seems that we are set up for failure. I can think of all the campaigns of education and parishioner mobilization that have occurred in recent years such as that against abortion in the 1970s and more recently against the de-criminalization of abortion and euthanasia. In all of these Catholics have been defeated. This week's readings also speak of failure: "Whether they hear or refuse to hear" (Ezk 2: 5) along with: "And they took offense at him... And Jesus could do no deed of power there." (Mk 6: 5) Even Jesus was not listened to! Should the Church, the Bride/Body of Christ, expect things to be different? We should take St Paul's attitude to be our own: "Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me, but he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.' So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me." (2 Cor. 12: 8-9) We, as Christians, are not called to save the world but to love it. It is through loving it, even if that involves tough love, that the power of Christ which brings about salvation through the mystery of the Cross, will be active in our world. Let us, therefore, not give up in proclaiming the truth and asserting Church teaching so that: "Whether they hear or refuse to hear (for they are a rebellious house), they shall know that there has been a prophet among them." (Ezk 2: 5) 



No comments:

Post a Comment