Monday 19 November 2018

1st Sunday of Advent

Jesus speaks of how the end of time will take place in the Gospel today. He prophesies how fear will grip the world: "People will faint from fear and foreboding of what is coming upon the world, for he powers of heaven will be shaken." (Lk 21: 26) This is not to be the case for those who believe in Christ: "Now when all these things begin to take place, stand up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near." (Lk 21: 28) The Letter to the Hebrews puts it this way: "And just as it is appointed for mortals to die once, and after that judgment, so Christ, having been offered once for the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin, but to save those who are eagerly awaiting him." (Heb 9: 27-28) This begs the question: which group will I be in? Those who are quaking with fear or those who stand erect ready to welcome 'the Son of Man coming in a cloud.' (Lk 21: 27)? Not only that, what influence does fear and anxiety have on my life here and now? We do well to listen to the counsel of the Lord from the Sermon on the Mount: "So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. today's trouble is enough for today." (Mtt 6: 33) The antidote to fear and anxiety is, in fact, peace. This peace is not an absence of conflict rather it is the fruit of justice. In its perfect form it is a gift from the Lord: "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid." (Jn 14: 27) If I am in a state of fear, confusion or anxiety I need to trust in the Lord and pray that his peace will flood my soul knowing and trusting that his power is sufficient for me. As St Paul states: "... but he (the Lord) said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.' So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Cor 12 9-10)

Image result for end of the world

No comments:

Post a Comment