Monday 5 December 2016

3rd Sunday of Advent

Today is often referred to in the liturgy as Gaudete Sunday. This is taken from the Entrance Antiphon from the Roman Missal for the Third Sunday of Advent: "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I say, rejoice. Indeed the Lord is near." (Lat. Gaudete in Domino semper. Iterum dico: Gaudete! ... Dominus prope) (Phil. 4: 4-5) It signals a change from the more penitential start to Advent, which focussed on the Second Coming of Christ, to look forward to the celebration of the Incarnation at Christmas. Hence, the rose colour of the vestments which moderates the severity of the purple. A question I can ask myself is whether I feel joy in my life? Also, where does that joy come from? Paul exhorts us to rejoice in the Lord. We are not told to rejoice in gifts, tinsel, large meals, Christmas trees, etc even family. The joy we feel in Christ cannot be taken from us. It is the gift of Christmas just as peace is the gift of the resurrection. Regardless of my personal circumstances I pray we can all join with Our Lady in saying: "My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour, for he has looked with favour on the lowliness of his servant." (Lk 1: 46-48) 

No comments:

Post a Comment