Monday 11 July 2016

16th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Jesus tells Martha today that she is "distracted by many things" (Lk 10: 41). One of those things, it seems was the relationship she has with her sister Mary and the pressure that she puts on herself to get things right. Maybe she was a perfectionist?. Her expectation is that Mary will see the same same priorities as herself. On this occasion I think we can justly infer that the things she was thinking about were to do with providing what Martha thought was suffciently hospitality for Jesus. The question arises, I think, what did Jesus want? What was the one thing needed? Jesus, I suspect, tired after his travel on the road and the burdens of his mission, really needed people he could talk too. Mary was able to discern this and met his needs by sitting at his feet and listening to what he had to say. Martha, for all of her concern, had not stopped to see what Jesus needed in that moment rather she was impelled by her own expectations. Jesus did not cause this. It came about through Martha's upbringing and all of the influences in her life that combined to generate expectations as to what she should do with lots of "coulds" and "shoulds." On this occasion they blind her to the thing that really matters which is to listen to Jesus. What about me? Do I respond genuinely to the needs of others or am I pushed by expections about what is socially, religiously or culturally appropriate? Am I trying to be a superwoman or superman? Can I stop and listen to the Lord? If I did I may well hear him say: "Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Mtt 11: 28-30)

No comments:

Post a Comment