Monday 27 June 2016

Fourteenth Week in Ordinary Time

Last week we heard about some of the obstacles or difficulties to being a disciple. This week we hear about the instructions given to those who accepted the challenge and were sent out to proclaim the Good News. They are sent in pairs and their job is to prepare for Jesus coming. Everything they are instructed to do speaks of singlemindedness and determination. They are told to: "Go on your way." (Lk 10: 3) There are going to be dangers and they have no protection yet the urgency of the mission impels them: "The kingdom of God is very near for you." Even when they are rejected their message is unchanged: "Yet know this: the kingdom of God has come near." (Lk 10: 11) When I think of my life am I one of those who has accepted the call to discipleship? If so, in what ways do I respond to the urgency of the message? Is it that I find all sort of reasons to delay my response to the Gospel or am I put off by the negativity of others? Perhaps it is time to search with greater diligence for how I can be use to the kingdom of heaven and the Master who will follow in my footsteps? Then I will also get the chance to rejoice saying: "Lord, in your name even the demons submit to us!" (Lk 10: 17) and hear the response: "Nevertheless, do not rejoice at this, that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven." (Lk 10: 20) 

No comments:

Post a Comment