Tuesday 31 May 2016

Tenth Sunday in Ordinary Time

In the gospel today Jesus says: "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick." (Mtt 9: 12) Even the well need to have a check-up! I have heard a number of times of people who thought they were in good health then, going for a check-up, found that there was something very wrong with them. If this is the case with our physical well-being how much less can we pronounce authoritatively on the state of our own moral and spiritual health. St Paul wrote: "I do not even judge myself. I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me." (1 Cor. 4: 3-4) The litmus test of our openness to God and his mercy is to be found in our ability to recognise the demands of mercy towards others that God makes on us: "Go and learn what this means, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice'. " (Mtt 9: 13a) Mercy means that we identify with the plight of others as well as their potential for good even when s/he has done wrong to us or to others. It calls forth that good which leads on to healing and reconciliation. Can I name a moment in my past week or month where I have acted out of mercy towards another? If I struggle with selflessness I can be comforted: "For I have come to call not the righteous but sinners." (Mtt 9: 13b) 

No comments:

Post a Comment