Sunday 3 April 2016

Third Sunday of Easter

This week we hear of Peter's response to the resurrection. Last Sunday Thomas was brought to declare: "My Lord and my God" (Jn 20: 28) while this week Peter pleads: "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." (Jn 21: 17) Both men, stubborn and self-willed, are taught a lesson. In the case of Peter the lesson is that faith leadership and our relationship with the Lord is not founded on bluster and fine sounding phrases, for example, "I will lay down my life for you" (Jn 13: 37) or "You are the Messiah the Son of the living God." (Mtt 16: 16). Rather, the true foundation of relationship with Jesus is established on love for him. This is important for us to realise when considering our own faith journey. Like Peter we can fail through sin or in other ways to meet up to what we say in our prayers or with the Church in the Mass. Christ does not ask us for that sort of perfection. It is impossible for us to attain such moral heights and, even if it were possible, Saint Paul tells us: "And if I have all prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing." (1 Cor. 13: 2) After all, if we are whole, entire and perfect we have no need of Jesus: "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. Go and learn what this means, 'I desire mercy not sacrifice.' For I have come to call not the righteous but sinners." (Mtt 9: 12-13) Like Peter we need to affirm our love of the Lord and place ourselves at his disposal to work for his Kingdom "Feed my sheep." (Jn 21: 17) In this we are to be conscious of our own response to the Lord and not questioning or judging others by what they say or do. Peter, is curious about the Beloved Disciple just as we might think about how others live out their response to the Lord. The answer from the Lord to Peter and also to us is: "If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? Follow me!" (Jn 21: 22) In other word, now that you have said that you love me get on with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment