Thursday 8 October 2015

28th Sunday in Ordinary Time

In the Gospel today the rich young man asks: "what must I do to inherit eternal life." In saying this he seems to regard the Kingdom of Heaven in worldly terms. Perhaps he became rich by inheriting a fortune in the first place? All he needs to do to participate in God's reign is to be a good boy and keep his nose clean. This impression is intensified when he replies to Jesus that "I have kept all these (the commandments) since my youth." He is well intentioned but remains at the centre of his own world. Jesus, who looks at him with love, challenges his to put the Kingdon at the centre, to go out of his comfort zone and engage with God's reality which entails detachment from material success and riches. The young man is sad. He thought that his riches were a sign of favour and not a hindrence to action. The question I can ask myself is: what attachments do I have that prevent me from being an effective disciple serving the Gospel in my daily life?

No comments:

Post a Comment