Monday 26 August 2024

22nd Sunday in Ordinary Time

 The Gospel of Mark was written for a predominantly Gentile, that is, non-Jewish community. Many, if not all, of the church would never have encountered a Pharisee. Yet, the evangelist records the conflicts and disputes between Jesus and this group of Jews. There were Essenes, Sadducees, Zealots and other factions at that time, yet the Pharisees is the one we hear about. I do not propose that we focus on the historical setting rather we need to look at the message. In this way the critique of the Pharisees can be taken as a stern warning to missionary disciples who obsess with outward appearance or religion while neglecting to strive for the inner transformation that religious practice is meant to achieve. Hence, Pope Francis stress on the joy of the Gospel. Let us be open, therefore, to self-critique. Does my practice of the Catholic faith bring me joy?  Does going to Mass soften my heart such that I can see others as Christ sees them and draw me to love them even when they annoy me? Are my words and/or actions, harsh, judgmental or self-righteous? If the answer to any of these questions is "yes" I am challenged by Christ to invite the Holy Spirit into my heart so that I may be healed, forgiven and ultimately transformed by God's love. May it not be the case, when we stand before the judgement seat of Christ (2 Cor 5: 10), that we hear the words: "This people honours me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me..." (Mk 7: 6)



No comments:

Post a Comment