Monday 16 September 2024

25th Sunday in Ordinary Time

 In the Gospel of Mark there are three predictions of the passion of our Lord Jesus Christ. After the first we hear that: "... Peter took him (Jesus) aside and began to rebuke him." (Mk 8: 32) Jesus replies: "Get behind me, Satan! For you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things." (Mk 8: 33) Today is the second prediction which leaves the disciples dumbfounded: "But they did not understand what he was saying and were afraid to ask him." (Mk 9: 32) However, they soon reverted to their worldly ways: "But they were silent, for on the way they had argued with one another who was the greatest." (Mk 9: 34) After the third foretelling their jealous rivalry is revealed as James and John look to oust Peter: "Grant us to sit, one at your right hand and one on your left in glory." (Mk 10: 37) I must ask myself - how much of my faith and religion is taken up with worldly considerations? The key to true faith is not to look to my advantage but to serve others as Christ did, especially in the vulnerable since: "Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes not me but the one who sent me." (Mk 9: 37)



No comments:

Post a Comment