Wednesday 19 June 2024

13th Sunday in Ordinary Time

 Jesus says to the leader of the synagogue: " 'Do not fear, only believe.' " (Mk 5: 36) This begs the question of each one of us today - what am I afraid of in letting God into my life? Each of us needs healing according to our individual weaknesses and sins. Yet do I turn to God in our need? Do I need to wait until I am truly desperate to avail myself of Jesus' saving power? Why not turn to God now and ask our heavenly Father so that his will may be done in my life? After all he has promised: "Ask, and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you. For everyone who asks receives, and everyone who searches finds, and for everyone who knocks the door will be opened" (Lk 11: 9-10) and: "If you then, who are evil, know how to give good things to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" (Lk 11: 13) If we are afraid and struggle in faith, let us imitate the determination of the leader of the synagogue and the woman with the hemorrhage. Not deterred by the crowd or the laughter of the onlookers these two individuals place their trust on Jesus and strive to come close to him. This opportunity exists for us today in the sacrament we receive today - "Do not fear, only believe."



No comments:

Post a Comment